Hand Dyed 70% Cheviot & 30% Nettle 4ply yarn 100g Skein
A carefully considered blend of British Cheviot combined with FSC and OEKO-TEX certified Nettle fibre (Nettle fibres originate in China). The Cheviot gives a soft and crisp base whilst the nettle adds tensile strength and a slight sheen.
- Weight: Approx. 2/8 weight 4ply (fingering)
- Length: 389m/425yds per 100g
- Hand-dyed by Becci and Markus at Riverknits
FLEECE & NATURAL FIBRES
Our North Country Cheviot fleeces come from Maria and John's own Lake District flock and the Heatherlea Cheviots from George and Sabrina Ross who are crofters in the Highlands.
NATURAL FIBRES - NETTLE
- Nettle fibres are hollow which allows them to trap air inside, this increases the fibres breathability and allows the fibres to feel cool in Summer and warm in Winter.
- Nettle fibres have a high tensile strength partly due to their long smooth staple length, this smoothness also attributes to the nettle fibres not taking dyes well, thus when blended with wool creates a slight mottled effect when colour is added.
- Nettles have a long history of being used in textiles. Due to the plants long roots they grow in many varied climates and grounds. fibres are light and drape well
- Fleece scoured in the UK
- Processed into yarn in Italy
For this yarn we worked with a highly regarded Italian spinner to push the boundaries of Cheviot wool use, re-introducing the wonders of quality British wool to a European audience, and benefitting from their immense knowledge of fine yarn spinning. The mill shares our regenerative business values.
We worked with Becci and Markus at Riverknits to create this beautiful collection, they created this beautiful mix of colours that work fantastically together. All hand-dyed in their studio based in Northamptonshire.
RiverKnits specialise in hand dyed colour, combining the traditional material of wool with original dyeing techniques to create exciting new ways of making. They have a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and natural fibres.
- Hand wash only - we recommend a wool wash
- Air dry flat to keep shape
Fully traceable, breed specific wool
We believe in the inherent value and potential of British wool. We believe by offering our knowledge generously we can help to build bespoke yarn and fleece projects that fulfil the needs of different brands and support their individual journey, that helps us to continue to build an ethical system that connects a community of like-minded people.
Experimenting with blends
We have been working on creating a library of yarns that pushes the boundaries of how we can utilise British wool for different end yarn types.
Experimenting with natural plant fibres and exciting breed blends, more information coming soon.
What we offer
We facilitate a range of options to optimise your use of British wool - from off the shelf yarns, to a fully bespoke yarn design service, we help you to connect with fully traceable British yarn and wool products.
The potential for wool
Want to find out more about how you can turn your own raw fleeces into finished products? Get in touch with us to find out how we can help you on your journey.
You might also like…
70% Cheviot & 30% Soy 4ply yarn 100g Skein
A carefully considered blend of British Cheviot combined...
70% Cheviot & 30% Nettle 4ply yarn 100g Skein
A carefully considered blend of British Cheviot combined with FSC...
100% Cheviot 4ply yarn 100g Skein
A fully traceable 100% British Cheviot yarn. The...